Timeline

1710

James Thomas (first owner and operator of the White Horse Tavern) is listed as the Constable of the township.

1711

Edward Kennison (second owner and operator of the White Horse Tavern) is listed as the Constable of the township.

1715

In 1715 James Thomas paid double the taxes of anyone else in Whiteland township.  Assuming the taxes were based on improved land or visible assets, that would make James the lead developer in the township in that year.

1721

James Thomas applies for and is approved for a tavern license.

In October, James Thomas offers Stone House and Barn for sale.

1722

Edward Kennison becomes the tavern owner.

Edward Kennison files for and is approved for a tavern license.

1735

James Trego takes over as owner.

1746

John Hambright takes over as owner.

1750

July 21st, William Trent spends the night.

1752

John Neely takes over as owner.

1764

Owen Aston takes over as owner.

1765

Reese Meridith takes over as owner, but not the operator of the tavern.

1776

July 8th, Tavern is used as a polling place to “frame a new government.”

September 5th, Thomas Jefferson ate a meal and spent the night.

1777

September 16th, Battle of the White Horse Tavern (also known as Battle of the Clouds).

September 20th, Paoli Massacre and Gen. Smallwood’s force were routed by British.

1784

John Kerlin takes over as owner and operator of tavern.

1789

Arthur Rice takes over as owner and operator of tavern.

1790

November 6th, Freemason Lodge 50 A.V.M. was established.

1792

Stephen Bowen takes over as owner and operator of tavern.

1802

January 28th, Thomas Reston Kennedy takes ownership.

1806

December, last meeting of Freemason Lodge 50 at the Tavern.

1813

April 24th, Joseph Pearce takes ownership.

1832

April 24th, Adam Reitenbaugh takes ownership.

1866

March 31st, William Weightman takes ownership.

1904

August 25th, Anne W. Weightman Walker takes ownership.

1921

December 5th, John Swanenburg takes ownership.

1954

June 25th, Alfred J. and Ruth C. Andrien take ownership.

1955

June 23rd, William D. Morehead and Hazel Morehead take ownership.

1970

October 21st, Davis E. A. Rambo and Mary J. Rambo take ownership.

1976

April 9th, John Danner takes ownership.

August 24th, Rutherford S. Miller and Patti T. Miller take ownership.